Monday 18 November 2013

Salted Caramel Sauce




Christmas has come early to Cupcakes & Couscous with the second challenge I am participating in this month. The lovely Sam over at Pomegranate Days has teamed up with Karon Grieve from Larder Love to challenge bloggers to come up with their favourite foodie Christmas gifts. This is right up my street as I love giving foodie presents during the Festive Season - cookies, flavoured oils, roasted nuts... and this rather delectable salted caramel sauce. 





Perfect as a Christmas gift this sauce can be drizzled over ice-cream, spooned onto waffles or poured over apple pie. And if you decide that you want to sneak the odd spoonful straight from the jar, well I wouldn't blame you for that! 



Cook's notes: Have your clean glass jar(s) ready before you start. You can adjust the amount of salt according to your taste - I add anything up to 1 teaspoon of salt flakes, but have used less here as I know some are more sensitive to the taste than others. This sauce will keep in the fridge for a month. 


_________________________

SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE


Makes 500ml



300g castor sugar
80ml water
250ml pouring cream
1/2 tsp salt flakes 
75g butter, cubed

Step 1.) Place castor sugar and water in a medium sized saucepan and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Use a pastry brush dipped in hot water to brush away any sugar crystals that collect on the sides of the pot.

Step 2.) Allow to boil for 13-15 minutes without stirring until the syrup is a deep golden colour. Keep a close eye on the pot as sugar syrup burns very quickly! I like to give the pot a swirl when the edges start to colour.

Step 3.) Take the saucepan off the heat and carefully add the cream while whisking. (Take care as the sauce will bubble up). Add the salt flakes and whisk until smooth. Lastly add the butter and whisk until you have a smooth, glossy sauce.

Step 4.) Pour the sauce into clean glass jars. Allow to cool before putting in the fridge. This sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a month. Note: the sauce will thicken as it cools.   


 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa! I just so happened to be Googling shortcrust pastry when the handy search engine brought me to your blog. What an absolute delight. I cannot wait to take your recipes for a spin in my kitchen.

    Love from JHB

    http://arumlilea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne! Wishing you many happy kitchen adventures. x

      Delete
  2. Ooo Teresa, they looks so delicious. I like the idea of over ice cream, almost as much as I like the idea of churning it into vanilla ice cream before a quick refreeze. I can without hesitation tell you that a jar like this would never last a month in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, same here... ;) I'm dying to try salted caramel milkshakes too, I think this sauce would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete